Disclaimer: Somewhere on this blog are multiple grammatical mistakes, spelling errors and obscure Star Wars references.

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Review: LG Optimus 3D's Tri-Dual Technology

Let’s face it, everyone loves their own smartphones and likes to believe that theirs is the best. I personally am a bit of an Android buff, mainly because I enjoy the flexibility I get from one of them, so for me, the best smartphone is usually the best Android you can get. I recently got my hands on the LG Optimus 3D which boasts, amongst other things, something they call Tri-Dual technology. Before I explore the ‘depth’ of LG’s latest venture into mobile 3D, I’ll talk about this first.

LG Optimus 3D



What is Tri Dual technology? A lot of phones these days pack dual cores, which they ultimately claim will speed up the overall processing capacity of the phone. Now while this is true, this is not optimized. Dual cores that communicate with the same processor cause, in the big picture, a traffic jam between the the core and the processor. With the LG Optimus 3D, the phone has both dual processors and dual cores, which can communicate with each other individually and simultaneously using dual channels. 3 dual technologies give you LG’s Tri-Dual gambit, the LG Optimus 3D. Here’s a short video I found after a little YouTube-ing to help state LG’s case:



I ran the Antutu Benchmark app on the phone a day after I got it and I racked it against a rooted Samsung Galaxy SII. Overall the SII performed slightly better, but this is because it was rooted and overclocked. The LG Optimus 3D is unrooted and so not overclocked. Bearing that in mind, it came very close to the overclocked SII's performance. I'm sure if the LG was rooted and overclocked, it would blow the SII out of the water. More about this later. Here’s a little snapshot of the test results:

Antutu Benchmark on un-rooted LG Optimus 3D



Overall, I think LG struck a birdie with this phone. It’s got a reliable, responsive engine under the hood and it is very aesthetically pleasing (more on that later). It’s a nice phone to place on your table to set the tone. I’ve yet to experience lags or delays in commands and battery life has yet to disappoint. Here’s the interesting thing though: I’ve been running this phone with only the GSM radio on (so no Wi-Fi unless I’m at home, no 3G etc.) and it lasts 3 full days without me having to charge it. Sure, my talk time on this phone is not as much as my regular, but it’s still very good for a phone that has so much to fuel under the hood. Also bear in mind that it’s packing the same battery that I have in my existing phone, which barely last half a day if I’ve been making phone calls.



The LG Optimus 3D. So far, so good.

_

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Heyy ... Pretty nice ya :) Any idea where would it be available? Thanks for the review.

MaliZOMG said...

If I'm correct, it should already be available in select stores. Try Sharaf DG :)

Karan said...

Wow .... looks awesome!Thanks for this one. How much does it cost?